Position Title: Assistant Professor
Name of Department: Peace and Conflict Studies
Supervisor of the Position: Head of Department
Location of Position: Costa Rica – Headquarters
Length of appointment: One year (renewable)
About the University for Peace
For a detailed description of the courses and more information about our academic programmes please visit: http://www.upeace.org/academic
Statement of Qualifications
Essential Qualifications for the Position:
- Ph.D. in Peace Education. A doctoral degree in Peace Studies would be considered only if the candidate demonstrates relevant experience in Peace Education (peace pedagogies and praxis)
- Teaching experience at university level in Peace Education, Global Citizenship, Conflict and Peace Studies and Gender
- Capacity to teach at graduate level
- Knowledge of the United Nations System
- Ability to conduct research
- Fluency in English and Spanish. Knowledge of another language is a desirable asset
- Experience facilitating multicultural groups
- The professor must be knowledgeable of Peace Education, Gender and Peace Studies
- Capacity to engage in one or more selected themes and areas covered in courses in other UPEACE programmes;
- Especially important is knowledge in several areas of Peace Education including Theories and Practices (pedagogies, restorative approaches, skills, and socio-emotional learning methodologies needed in educational settings).
- Must be familiar with concepts of Gender in Peace and Conflict Studies and the vital linkages between inclusiveness, justice and the building of enduring peace
- Must have a theoretical and working knowledge of Gender mainstreaming, feminist theories and decolonial theories
Abilities and Skills
- Advising and teaching skills, including participatory methodologies and other innovative approaches
- Networking skills
- Supervision abilities of thesis and dissertations
- Computer skills (multimedia skills desirable)
- Skills in managing interpersonal relationships and collaborative teamwork
- Strong sense of values and ethics, consistent with the mandate of the University
- Experience in multicultural or cross-cultural settings with a wide diversity of student populations and staff
General Responsibilities for the Position:
The Professor will work together with other staff in the Department:
- Develop and teach twelve credits in academic programmes
- Will collaborate with other UPEACE faculty as required in the development and delivery of the broader academic programme of UPEACE
- Support other departmental activities
- Coordinate the Peace Education Programme with overall responsibility with consultation with the Head of the Department.
- Support the Peace Education programme and students
Specific Responsibilities for the Position:
Under a full-time position:
- Support the Head of the Department as required in programme development and other academic departmental activities such as serving in different academic committees.
- Teach 12 credits under the auspices of the Peace Education, Gender and Peacebuilding programmes and in collaboration with other university programmes and departments.
- Option to teach courses on the online programme
- Participate in the development of academic policy and regulations and the quality assurance of academic content of UPEACE
- Advise students on their academic and other affairs
- Supervise six students on theses and six internships or capstone projects.
- Conduct research consistent with UPEACE’s mission and mandate
- Contribute to the design and implementation of outreach activities.
- Contribute to the community of UPEACE through the development and implementation of creative and engaging academic activities and events
- Write at least one article or a book chapter per year published preferably in a peer-review journal
- Act as an examiner for Ph.D. examination(s) should theses related to Peace Education/Gender/Peace Studies be submitted
The final salary offer will be made based on qualifications and experience. The salary range for the first year of an Assistant Professorship is US$2,800-US$3,400 per month. Salary is tax exempted in accordance with international mission status for international staff members.
Please submit (1) your CV, (2) a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, and how your teaching and research interests will contribute to the department and the UPEACE community, and (3) contact information for three references. Your references will only be contacted in the event you are selected as a finalist. Your application should be sent in electronic format to the following e-mail only: email@example.com. please refer to the subject to Position #4900.
The period for the submission of application materials ends on 15 July 2022. At the end of the application period, the selection board will review all applications and contact only those candidates who will continue to the next phase of the selection process. These shortlisted applicants will be contacted before 1 August 2022.
For more details and to apply, visit: https://www.upeace.org/files/HR/Position%204900-Assistant%20Professor%20Peace%20Education.pdf