Duration of contract: 2 years, renewable (Maximum term of six (6) years)
Recruitment open to: Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time): 31-JAN-2023
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
UNESCO, as the lead agency for Sustainable Development Goal 4 on Inclusive Quality Education is currently seeking a pro-active visionary Director for the Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP). The right candidate will be a leader, able to foster trust through an inclusive approach, and inspire others.
The Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) is a UNESCO specialized education Institute. The Institute aims to promote the development of regional, subregional and national institutional capacities in education for peace and sustainable development, and to meet the related research and capacity-building needs of developing countries and countries in transition, with special focus on the Asia and Pacific region.
Guided by the Institute’s Governing Board, and under the direct supervision of the Assistant Director-General for Education, the Director of MGIEP is responsible for the leadership of the Institute as well as for planning, implementing and reporting on its Programme and Budget. S/he will prepare the Institute’s annual Draft Programme and Budget for submission to the Governing Board and, upon approval, draw up a detailed plan of activities, direct their implementation, and report on progress and results, as well as effectively motivate and inspire the Institute’s staff.
Specifically, the incumbent shall:
- Provide intellectual, strategic, and operational leadership for the Institute in the pursuit of its main goals.
- Develop strategies and activities to strengthen cooperation in the areas of education for peace, Education for Sustainable Development (ESD), and Global Citizenship Education (GCED), and facilitate the Institute’s contribution to the discourse on the futures of education.
- Manage and design operational mechanisms and/or action plans, required to support and ensure efficiency and effectiveness of the Institute’s operations, as well as the implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the programmes of the Institute.
- Maintain close cooperation with the UNESCO Office in New Delhi, national authorities, United Nations agencies, development banks, bilateral organizations, non-governmental organizations, academic institutions, and other partners, for effective implementation of MGIEP’s programmes.
- Ensure close cooperation with the UNESCO Education Sector and other sectors, field offices, UNESCO specialized institutes, and service units concerned.
- Mobilize, manage and coordinate resources for the Institute’s programmes.
- Maintain and manage a motivated and effective staff.