Duty Station: New Delhi
Job Family: Education
Type of contract: Project Appointment
Duration of contract: 1 year
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time): 31-OCT-2021 – EXTENDED
The UNESCO Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Education for Peace and Sustainable Development (MGIEP) is UNESCO’s category 1 Research Institute that focuses on Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 4.7 towards education for building peaceful and sustainable societies across the world. The Institute is looking for a Policy Officer who will be in charge of following duties in the field of Education:
Support and research of policy issues
- Contribute to the identification of relevant policy issues within the eSDG4 and the broader educational agenda.
- Assist to define and document policy issues and provide potential solutions drawing from science of learning, traditional education and supporting evidence.
- Use a range of quantitative and qualitative research methods, ensuring credibility of information and evidence sourced.
- Maintain awareness of local and global policy developments within the educational sphere.
Coordinate Stakeholder Consultation
- Coordinate with the various project teams at the Institute and develop an overall policy strategy.
- Coordinate with relevant divisions and field offices of UNESCO to facilitate dialogue with member states on relevant policies recommended from Institute studies and projects.
- Recommend appropriate stakeholder engagement methods.
- Ensure objectives for stakeholder consultation are clearly defined prior to engaging stakeholders.
- Assist the identification of interested or affected stakeholder groups.
- Coordinate consultation with interested or affected stakeholders across all stages of the policy development process.
- Contribute to and develop Ministerial briefings and submissions on policy matters.
- Manage stakeholder feedback mechanisms.
Contribute to policy analysis and development
- Draft policy and associated documents within SDG 4 and in particular SDG4.7.
- Assess and interpret a range of information and identify gaps in data or sources.
- Assess policy options using a range of techniques including cost benefit analysis, and social impact analysis.
- Incorporate feedback from stakeholder engagement processes into the development of policy solutions.
- Support development of policy within a range of legislative and administrative frameworks and in particular UNESCO policy processes.
- Draft or contribute to the development of a range of policy documentation.
Support policy implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Contribute to the development of supporting infrastructure and processes for policy implementation.
- Contribute to the development of appropriate policy evaluation criteria and monitoring approaches.
- Evaluate and review policy effectiveness using a range of techniques and tools, including monitoring and analysis of performance indicators.
- Identify and recommend possible improvements to the policy.
Provide advice on policy matters
- Respond to moderately complex requests for policy advice.
- Maintain an understanding of broader Departmental, political, social, and economic environments in the development of policy advice.
- Undertake research and analysis to support policy advice.
- Summarise information and evidence via minutes, briefs, submissions, reports, updates or statements.
- Coordinate with stakeholders and ensuring effective communication.
- Maintain accurate records of policy advice, including key discussions, decisions, handwritten and electronic notes.
- Apply broader strategic direction in policy advice.