“Columba-Hypatia: Astronomy for Peace” is a joint astronomy outreach project run by GalileoMobile and the Association for Historical Dialogue and Research, which takes place on the divided island of Cyprus. The project is funded by the International Astronomical Union with support from the Max Plank Institute for Astrophysics. The project aims to inspire young people to be curious about science and the Cosmos, while also using astronomy as a tool for promoting meaningful communication and a culture of peace and nonviolence. Our team conducts educational astronomy activities and explores the Cosmos with children and the public from the various communities living on the island, to inspire a sense of global citizenship “under the same sky” and to look beyond borders.
GalileoMobile and the Association for Historical Dialogue and Research (AHDR) are looking for a highly motivated individual with a background in STEM Education and/or Peace Education (or relevant fields) and an active interest in astronomy and/or peace education to join the offices of the AHDR based in the Home for Cooperation (H4C), at the heart of Nicosia, Cyprus.
The intern will provide support to the operations of the ‘Columba-Hypatia: Astronomy for Peace’ Project and will be supported by GalileoMobile and AHDR teams that will help her/him to develop skills in establishing networks, research, project assistance, drafting of educational material and event planning. The intern will provide both educational and administrative support and is expected to work on a wide range of activities and events in the context of the aforementioned project.
The length of the internship is six (6) months, starting in March 2019 (starting date negotiable), with a possibility of extension until the end of 2019 subject to performance and funding availability.
The intern will be offered a monthly remuneration of 600€. Costs such as housing, travel, visa arrangements and medical insurance connected with the program must be borne by the intern.
- With assistance from the International Astronomical Union’s Office of Astronomy for Development, GalileoMobile and AHDR, the intern will establish initial contacts and collaborations with possible organizations/groups/initiatives and/or people interested in implementing astronomy for peace projects in other parts of the globe;
- Coordinate and contribute to the drafting of an educational manual on how to implement astronomy for peace projects/activities;
- Provide logistical and technical assistance with the organisation of the astronomy for peace workshops, conferences and events;
- Attend networking activities and international level meetings and events;
- Research and analyse data;
- Promote the ideals and objectives of the project through different media;
- Work closely with the AHDR Officers and GalileoMobile experts in the coordination of work plans and deliverables;
- Other duties related to the work of AHDR and GalileoMobile.
- Being a graduate or current student enrolled in a topic related to STEM, STEM Education, Peace Studies, Human Rights or any other related disciplines;
- Experience in astronomy and/or peace education (or related fields);
- Excellent written and spoken English skills;
- Flexibility and capability to work independently and in a team;
- Demonstration of commitment to the mission and vision of the AHDR and GalileoMobile;
- Enthusiasm and commitment to peacebuilding.
Additional requirements that would be an asset
- Proven experience in project management, fundraising, events organisation, communication or networking;
- Proven leadership, planning, project writing, analytical and organizational skills;
- Proven excellent intercultural communication skills and diligence when delivering tasks;
- Social media, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Canva, Outlook and websites
- Working knowledge of Greek and/or Turkish
We offer you
- Monthly remuneration of 600€;
- Opportunity to be part of a dynamic and diverse team;
- Opportunity to work independently and take responsibility;
- Free Turkish or Greek courses during the duration of the internship (subject to availability);
- Discounts at the Home Café;
- Internal and external training opportunities;
- Possibility to travel abroad with projects;
- Access to all AHDR resources and publications.
Please note that the AHDR is only able to offer internships to those legally allowed to work in the European Union. We cannot provide work permits or support work permit applications.
If you are interested in joining our team, please apply by 1 March 2019 by sending your CV and a letter stating your motivation at [email protected]
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
GalileoMobile is an itinerant, non-profit outreach project that shares astronomy with students and teachers in schools and communities worldwide. The team is comprised by a group of volunteer astronomers, educators and science communicators around the world. Since its inception in 2008, GalileoMobile has reached 1,400 teachers and 16,000 students, donating more than 100 telescopes and organizing public events for more than 2,500 people in 14 countries. GalileoMobile shares astronomy across the world in a spirit of inclusion, sustainability, and cultural exchange to create a feeling of unity under the same sky.
The Association for Historical Dialogue and Research (AHDR) is an intercommunal organization based in Cyprus whose mission is to contribute to the advancement of historical understanding amongst the public and more specifically amongst children, youth and educators by providing access to learning opportunities for individuals of every ability and every ethnic, religious, cultural and social background, based on the respect for diversity and the dialogue of ideas. In the last few years, the AHDR has expanded its scope of work to include Peace Education as a response to the increasing needs of the Cypriot society for educational initiatives for reconciliation.