Peace education received a boast in Nigeria with the official unveiling of the Nigeria Network and Campaign for Peace Education. This is a network of stakeholders and practitioners in peace education activities.
This historic event took place on 14th August 2019 during the Protect Our Future Peace Camp organized by the Centre for Social Transformation and Human Development. The keynote speaker at the occasion Prof. Ernest Uwazie, the chair of criminal justice department of the California State University, Sacramento, urged all present to join hands with the network to have a more peaceful and just society.
The convener, Dr. Colins Imoh explained the rationale for the network which is officially affiliated with the Global Campaign for Peace Education. The initial exploratory goals include:
- Build public awareness and political support for the introduction of peace education into all spheres of education, including non-formal education, in all schools throughout the world;
- Support and promote the development of effective teacher training in peace education
- Promote effective implementation of national legislation on peace education.
- Support grassroots and community-based peace education efforts
- Development of peace education curricula that responds specifically to the specific crises in different parts of Nigeria
A google form for membership is already ongoing and the response has been fantastic. Please, in solidarity, please fill the form for documentation.
The network will initially work within the following thematic areas:
- Teacher training
- Schools based peace education
- Non-formal/community based education
- Youth peacebuilding
A Facebook page and other social media platform are been created for the network. For more information, contact:
Imoh Colins Edozie, Ph.D.
Convener – Nigeria Network and Campaign for Peace Education
Technical Adviser, Centre for Social Transformation and Human Development (CHDST)
House 13, IZZI Estate, 312 Aba Road, Port Harcourt
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org