Job Title: Professor, Associate Professor or Assistant Professor – Humanitarian and/or Development Studies
University: Emirates Diplomatic Academy in United Arab Emirates
Department: Academic Department
Reporting Line: Academic Director
Application Deadline: December 02, 2019
[icon name=”share” class=”” unprefixed_class=””] apply online
1. Job Objective
The Emirates Diplomatic Academy (EDA) is planning to introduce a new Master’s in Humanitarian Action and Development. This MA is designed to develop the next generation of leaders in the humanitarian and development fields and will primarily comprise students from relevant sectors in the UAE as well as some from overseas. The MA has been developed with the support of the UAE’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MOFAIC) and builds on the various efforts to build capacity in the sector, given the leading role that the UAE plays as a donor of humanitarian and development assistance.
The EDA is recruiting two new, full-time faculty for the new MA to design and deliver some of the courses, serve as advisors to the students, deliver classes in other programmes (including executive training) where required, publish relevant research, and contribute to the wider management, growth and success of the EDA.
The EDA is ideally looking for one faculty member with a specialism in development studies and one with a specialism in humanitarian assistance. One of these positions will also be responsible for the programme coordination, but the allocation of that responsibility will be determined based on the candidates’ strengths.
2. Key Responsibilities/Duties
The faculty member’s responsibilities will include the following:
- [for one of the positions] Serve as Programme Coordinator for a new MA in Humanitarian Action and Development;
- Design and deliver courses as part of the new MA in Humanitarian Action and Development;
- Supervise students’ theses and serve as academic advisor to students on the programme;
- Design and deliver some classes as part of the Emirates Diplomatic Academy’s (EDA) Executive Training programme, as required;
- Deliver a course in the Postgraduate Diploma and/or MA in International Relations and Diplomacy (only if needed and where workload constraints allow);
- Contribute to the ongoing development of the diversity, quality and innovativeness of the EDA’s educational offerings;
- Produce cutting-edge research in the field of development, humanitarian action and international affairs, both for external publication and as EDA publications, including in areas of research that are relevant to the UAE’s foreign policy and/or foreign aid policy;
- Provide advice, if requested, to the government of the UAE on policy issues related to her/his area of expertise;
- Contribute to the EDA’s ‘thought leadership’ mission by participating in conferences/events, writing in various media, and building international collaborations;
- Contribute to the wider management and administration of the EDA through service on department and EDA-wide committees, including for example the Academic Affairs Committee and the Faculty Hiring Committee; and
- Be an active participant in the wider EDA ‘community’ by participating in various extracurricular events and activities that occur in the EDA as well as collaborating with other UAE entities on special events.
3. Job Requirements
Education and Relevant Experience
- Candidates must have a PhD in a relevant field from a respected academic institution.
- Candidates will ideally have substantial direct or indirect experience of practical professional work in the humanitarian or development sectors.
- For Professor: candidates must have at least 10-15 years of teaching experience in a university and hold the position of Professor.
- For Associate Professor: candidates must have at least 5 to 9 years of teaching experience in a university and hold the position of Associate Professor.
- For Assistant Professor: candidates must have at least 0 to 5 year’s teaching experience in a university or research led organization.
- A passionate commitment to the goals of humanitarian relief and/or development, and a strong desire to strengthen the capacity of professionals working in these sectors.
- A proven record of strong performance in teaching at the university level.
- Substantial proven expertise in a relevant subject matter.
- An ability to teach both the academic understanding of the subject matter as well as to train students to apply this understanding in a professional context.
- Willingness and ability to use e-learning tools as part of pedagogical approach
- A proven record of publishing research, including policy-oriented research.
- Demonstrated management and administrative skills.
- Excellent spoken and written English. Fluency in written and spoken Arabic is highly desirable.
- Professional appearance and presentation skills, as well as the ability to act as a role model for the EDA’s students.
- Ability to engage effectively with government officials.
- Energetic, hard-working individual, with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Strong team player, with a keen interest in collaborating to ensure the success of the EDA.
- Flexibility, and willingness to adapt to evolving needs and priorities.
- Ability to work in an environment dealing with sensitive information.
- An affinity with the foreign policy goals of the UAE.
Start date: Candidates should be available to start by August 2020 at the latest.
4. Application process
- Statement of interest (brief)
- Copy of recent course evaluations
- Sample of publications
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the HR Department and will be invited to be interviewed by the EDA’s Faculty Hiring Committee.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the required duties, responsibilities and job specifications / requirements.