Betty Reardon has entered her 90th year of life – officially turning 90 next June! We invite you to help us celebrate and honor Betty by joining our special “$90k for 90,” 9-month fundraising campaign.
Betty has been an inspiration and mentor to peace educators around the world for more than 50 years. She co-founded the Global Campaign for Peace Education (GCPE) in 1999 and established the International Institute on Peace Education (IIPE) in 1982. Through the IIPE she initiated a global community of peace educators, academics, and policy makers who come together in solidarity to learn with and from one another toward growing the field of peace education in theory and practice. Through the GCPE she helped establish a global advocacy and exchange network that has reached countless thousands more educators and activists around the world.
We are deeply thankful to you for being a friend to Betty as well as a family member of the IIPE and GCPE communities. Betty has frequently stated that establishing these sustaining learning communities was her most important achievement. Betty has brought us together to grow, evolve and sustain her important work. Did you know that the IIPE community has gathered 42 times and been held in 17 different countries in its 36-year history? Or that, in the last 12 months, the website and newsletters of the GCPE have been read by more than 60,000 peace educators in 193 countries (just two short of every country in the world!)?
$90k for 90!
A 9-month campaign to help sustain the Global Campaign for Peace Education & International Institute on Peace Education
With your help, our goal is to raise $90,000 over the next 9-months, culminating in a special birthday celebration in June 2019. The $90k target assures the sustainability of the GCPE & IIPE: Betty’s legacy work in peace education. “90k for 90” will feature three cycles of 90-days; with each cycle introducing a special focus of Betty’s life work. During these cycles we will highlight and share influential resources from Betty’s archives.
- Cycle 1 (September – November 2018) will explore Betty’s efforts from the 1960s through the ‘70s focused on developing peace education for schools.
- Cycle 2 (January – March 2019) will introduce Betty’s efforts from the ’80s and ‘90s, a period highlighted by the internationalization of the peace education movement, the formation of the academic field, and the articulation of Comprehensive Peace Education.
- Cycle 3 (April – June 2019) will celebrate Betty’s influential work on gender, peace and ecology.
We appeal to you today to help us sustain Betty’s lifetime of work in peace education. Please help us honor and celebrate Betty’s accomplishments – and her 90th year – by becoming a sustaining donor to the GCPE today!
We only need 90 donations of $1000 to reach our goal. That’s just $1000 for each year of Betty’s life! We’ve already received donations and pledges of more than $2,000 – so we well along our way!
There are many ways you can help us reach this target and honor Betty during this special campaign:
- Make a 1-time donation of $90 ($1 for each year of Betty’s life)!
- Make an automated monthly recurring donation of $90 (for a total of $1080!)
- Make an automated monthly recurring donation of $9.00 ($108 for the year!)
- Make a 1-time donation of $900 ($10 for each year of Betty’s life) – or $9000($100 for each year)
- Make an automated monthly recurring donation of $75 for 1-year = $900
- Give any amount you can!
A Special Birthday Gift for You!
- Supporters who give $90 or more or set-up a $9.00 monthly recurring donation will get a free electronic (pdf) copy of “Comprehensive Peace Education: Educating for Global Responsibility: 30th Anniversary Edition” with a personalized note from Betty. “Comprehensive Peace Education,” first published in 1988, helped establish the theoretical and pedagogical foundations of transformative peace education. IIPE / GCPE will be self-publishing this special 30th anniversary edition with a new, reflective introduction from Betty.
- We will also be introducing new incentives throughout the campaign!
What Your Sustaining Donation Supports
International Institute on Peace Education
- You can sustain the learning community that is the beating heart of the IIPE. The IIPE has provided a space for solidarity and recharging the batteries and souls of peace educators for more than 35 years!
- You can sustain IIPE’s efforts to help advance knowledge and pedagogy in the field of peace education.
- You can give us the boost we need to shift the IIPE from a biennial back to an annual program!
- You can help us continue to deliver our programs to those most in need, particularly those educators from conflict and post-conflict settings.
- You can help us keep our overhead to a minimum so we can continue to offer the IIPE at minimal cost.
- You can help us to pay our part-time staff, helping us to organize more events, manage volunteers, and to sustain and grow the impacts of past efforts.
Global Campaign for Peace Education
- You can sustain our efforts to grow awareness of peace education around the world!
- You can help peace education to grow at the grassroots! The Global Campaign is frequently contacted by educators from around the world looking for resources and support to establish new peace education programs.
- You can help us initiate a robust network of country and regional level chapters. Several have already reached out to the GCPE to volunteer as country coordinators and to assist in national and regional outreach efforts. Your support can help us grow and sustain these efforts!
- Your support could help us to hire new staff to support our rapidly growing programs!
- You can help us to conduct much needed research supporting the development of peace education policy resources. Policy makers are looking for effective, evidence-based models and resources to support peace education policy development. The GCPE is working to gather existing policy resources and develop a series of policy recommendations and accompanying resources based on analysis of existing resources.
- The Global Campaign serves as a vital hub for current research and resourcing in peace education. Your support helps us to maintain our website, bibliographic resources, events calendar, and “where to study peace education” guide.