Call for proposals: Doctoral and Junior Faculty Research Fellowship on Civil Resistance
International Center on Nonviolent Conflict (ICNC)[icon type=”glyphicon glyphicon-share-alt” color=”#dd3333″] Visit the ICNC website for more information and to apply
Application deadline: May 30, 2016
In 2016, ICNC offers a new, expanded stipend opportunity for both Ph.D. students and Junior Faculty. ICNC’s Doctoral and Junior Faculty Research Fellowship enables eligible applicants to carry out research on civil resistance and/or conduct a study that can benefit from a civil resistance perspective, as part of their dissertation or for an upcoming book, journal article or book chapter.
For 2016, $20,000 in total has been allotted for this program. Each Fellowship award ranges between $2,000 and $10,000. The deadline to apply is May 30, 2016.
In addition to a stipend, Doctoral and Junior Faculty Research Fellowship includes several hours of scholarly mentorship provided by one of ICNC’s academic advisors. Mentorship is set up when ICNC matches an awardee with an academic advisor interested in the awardee’s research topic.
The Research Fellowship aims to support:
- In-depth analysis of civil-resistance-related literature; with relevant findings incorporated into Fellows’ writings;
- Fieldwork (data collection) related to civil resistance case studies;
- Archival work to recover information about civil resistance or case histories of civil resistance;
- The completion of a written draft (journal article, book manuscript, book chapter, etc.) during the course of the Fellowship for a peer-review publication that makes a significant contribution to the field of civil resistance.
Doctoral students studying at accredited universities inside or outside of their home country that have completed at least 12 months of their Ph.D. studies before the date of their application, and that have at least 18 months from the date they apply for the ICNC stipend program to complete and submit their doctoral dissertations
- Junior faculty on a tenure-track position
- Full-time post-doctoral researchers
- Lecturers or assistant professors who are working to secure a permanent faculty appointment, or to advance to an associate professor or senior lecturer position
- Studies at accredited university inside or outside of his/her home country.
- Has completed at least 12 months of Ph.D. studies before the date of the application
- Has at least 18 months remaining –from the date of the submission of the application for the ICNC stipend program– to complete and submit a doctoral dissertation
- Has a Ph.D. thesis that can be enriched by integrating a new or more in-depth analysis of one of the priority research topics in civil resistance listed below, or on one of the key themes in civil resistance studies (see the Online Academic Curriculum on Civil Resistance for the list of most important themes and relevant resources). Strong proposals focusing on the additional themes of interest listed below will also be considered.
- Demonstrates in the application a good command and understanding of the civil resistance literature and its relevance to his/her work
- The awardee must produce an article draft relevant to civil resistance to be submitted to a peer review journal. The final installment of the fellowship disbursement will be made upon delivery of the article draft.
- Has a full-time teaching or research appointment at a nationally accredited academic institution
- Has completed his/her Ph.D. in the last 5 years
- Has started or is continuing work on a peer-review publication that could be enriched or benefit from an in-depth theoretical or empirical civil resistance perspective—focusing in particular on one of the priority research topics in civil resistance listed below). Strong proposals focusing on the additional themes of interest listed below will also be considered.
- The awardee must produce a written draft relevant to civil resistance that will take the form of a journal article, book manuscript, or book chapter. The final installment of the fellowship disbursement will be made upon delivery of the article draft.