Job opening: Educational Project Officer – History Education (Full-time position)
Organization: Association for Historical Dialogue and Research (AHDR)
Application deadline: Interested applicants need to submit their CV and relevant documentation along with a Letter of Interest by 10 November 2021.
The Association for Historical Dialogue and Research (AHDR)is a unique multi-communal, non-for-profit, non-governmental organization established in Nicosia in 2003. The AHDR envisions a society where dialogue on issues of history, historiography and history teaching and learning is considered a means for the advancement of understanding and critical thinking and is welcomed as an integral part of democracy and a culture of peace. Towards this end, the AHDR provides access access to learning opportunities for individuals of every ability and every ethnic, religious, cultural, and social background, based on the respect for diversity and the dialogue of ideas. Since its establishment, the AHDR has broadened its mission by promoting peace education in formal and non-formal settings and is currently bringing together school children, youth and teachers from all communities on the island; in this context, the AHDR has received acclaim from the UN Secretary General and international organizations for its role in promoting contact and cooperation between the future generations of Cyprus.
Background to AHDR’s work on History Education: The mission of the AHDR is to defend and promote productive dialogue and research into history teaching and, thereby, in strengthening peace, stability and democracy. In this manner, multiperspectivity and critical thinking form the two main components of AHDR’s work. In this framework, the AHDR’s work on History Education focuses on Research and Training. Since its establishment, the AHDR’s efforts have focused on providing opportunities for educators, historians, students and researchers to become better equipped to handle the complexities of history teaching in conflict and post-conflict environments. In this context, our history and history education activities focus on:
- Bi-communal and mono-communal teacher training workshops related to History of Cyprus, Social and Cultural History, and History Teaching Methodology;
- Production of supplementary educational material, and related training;
- Design and implementation of research activities and dissemination of research findings;
- Organization of conferences, panel discussions and symposia;
- Development of policy suggestions;
- Organization of exhibitions related to History and History Education;
- Organisation of city walks and bike tours;
- Networking with local and international stakeholders in the field of history education;
- Campaigning and advocacy.
To support its work, the AHDR requires the services of a full-time Educational Project Officer with demonstrated experience in the field of History Education to assist in the implementation of the current and future educational project needs of the Association.
Required Qualifications & Competencies for Educational Project Officer
- Master’s Degree in relevant disciplines with minimum 3 years of relevant experience or;
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant disciplines with minimum 5 years of relevant experience.
- Substantive and technical expertise in relevant fields;
- Experience in the design (proposal writing) and implementation of educational and/or research projects;
- Excellent research and analytical skills;
- Experience in fundraising and campaigning for education;
- Experience in outreach and communications;
- Multitasking ability;
- Excellent knowledge of the political situation in Cyprus and related challenges;
- Ability to actively seek to improve or offer creative options to solve problems;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to provide administrative and logistical support to educational projects;
- Demonstrated ability to adapt plans, prioritise and deliver tasks on time;
- Excellent computer skills, especially a very good command of MS Office;
- Fluency is required in written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of Turkish and/ or Greek will be considered a plus.
Evaluation & Selection of Applications
Applicants will be selected in accordance with their qualifications and demonstrated level of experience. An evaluation committee will review the expression of interests/ applications received and will shortlist the successful candidates who will be invited for an interview. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Interested applicants need to submit their CV and relevant documentation along with a Letter of Interest via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 November 2021.