One Common Unity (OCU) is a non-profit organization based in Washington, DC, which began in 2000. OCU breaks cycles of violence and builds compassionate, healthy communities through the transformative power of music, arts, and peace education. For 17 years OCU has successfully created spaces to transform the lives of youth and families. Through arts-based peace education in schools, summer youth initiatives and filmmaking, we have reached over 20,500 youth and families with our work. OCU teaches people how to create media, arts, and music that reflect the stories of those working diligently to create communities which honor and respect one another and understand our inherent equality and interdependence. OCU believes violence is a learned behavior, and therefore, if someone can be taught violence, they can also be taught compassion, cooperation, and the skills necessary to create healthy and mutually beneficial relationships.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Program Director’s role is to provide programmatic and operational leadership to further One Common Unity’s mission, to lead our flagship youth development program, Fly By Light, as well as other programmatic initiatives. Working closely with the Managing Director and Executive Director, the Program Director will oversee program design and implementation. The ideal candidate will be a collaborative leader, passionate about One Common Unity’s mission, and committed to positive youth, family, community development and social change.
In the coming school year, One Common Unity’s Fly By Light program will expand to new schools and will grow to work with thousands of youth across Washington, DC. The Program Director will serve as a Program Facilitator at two sites, on average two days per week, with the remaining three days dedicated to supervising the other Program Facilitators and completing the various administrative duties listed below.
Program Development and Outreach
- Develop effective community partnerships, particularly with schools, parents, and educators.
- Supervise and help maintain communication between schools, facilitators, students, parents, and partnering organizations. This includes tracking logs of calls, emails, building database of contacts with communication history, and calling contracted schools on a regular basis.
- Research other organizational partnership possibilities for the Fly By Light youth program.
- Explore, develop and seek opportunities to help OCU monetize programs and projects.
- Strategic planning that strengthens relationships between various OCU programs.
- Curriculum development and oversight.
- Support the continual development of logic model and theory of change documents for various programs.
- Assist the Managing Director and Executive Director in the development and management of the program budget as it relates to specific project functions and activities.
Program Management and Implementation
- Follow strong risk management and coordinate risk management practices.
- Teach, mentor and work with program participants, faculty, staff and parents at assigned school sites.
- Work with staff to develop and ensure the delivery of high quality teacher trainings in social-emotional skills, mindfulness, conflict resolution, nonviolent communication, and other topics as needed.
- Support the development and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation process for our youth programs.
- Supervise, monitor, and evaluate youth program facilitators.
- Develop and facilitate trainings for our program facilitators.
- Recruit and oversee a team of volunteers.
- Make sure all attendance and weekly reports have been submitted by facilitators.
- Ensure that youth records are properly maintained and kept confidential. This includes ensuring that files are complete and up to date in the OCU database and file sharing system.
- Conduct site visits of programming and complete the OCU evaluation and monitoring sheet.
- Conduct an evaluation feedback session with each facilitator at the end of each teaching semester and summarize and discuss results with appropriate OCU staff.
- Maintain an internal culture that reflects One Common Unity’s values of respect, positivity, experiential learning, an appreciation of the environment, and the underlying belief of the potential of all of our youth.
- Other duties as assigned by Managing Director and/or Executive Director.
The position reports to the Managing Director.
- A commitment to and understanding of One Common Unity’s mission.
- Experience and passion for working with underserved urban youth.
- Knowledge of the theory and best practices in high school/ middle school programming, leadership development and professional development training, arts education, peace education, social-emotional learning, conflict resolution, trauma counseling, risk management, and state and local regulations.
- A successful track record of program management, design, development, and direct staff supervisory experience.
- Experience with evaluating and monitoring programs.
- Outstanding verbal, written, and listening skills.
- Flexibility, creativity and the ability to thrive in an evolving environment.
- An engaging and dynamic manner that demonstrates warmth and good humor when working with individuals.
- Flexible schedule – youth programs held during out of school time hours including scheduled weekends and evenings.
- Personal qualities of maturity, humility, strong work ethic, and a roll-up-my-sleeves attitude.
- CPR and First Aid (WFA) required; Mandated Reporter training, DCPS clearance, FBI background check, and NSO registry clearance.
START DATE AND COMPENSATION
The projected start date is September 15 or October 1, 2017. Salary range is $48,000 – $56,000 (commensurate with experience) and includes a competitive benefits package with medical and dental plan, workers’ compensation insurance, paid time off, and holidays. The position will require some evening and weekend hours. Candidates are expected to be looking for long-term positions based in Washington, D.C.
Submit a CV or resume, bio, 3 references, and thoughtful cover letter outlining your interest in this position to [email protected] with “Application for Program Director” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.